Unfolding CommunitiesThe Lost Jews of Mellrichstadt
Glass cabinet in the museum Salzhaus.
A Seder plate
A small water jug
A collecting box for the acquisition of landed property in Palestine
Ritual items reminding of the former Jewish community
In June 1983 a museum of local history had been opened in Mellrichstadt. It is in the former Salzhaus in 9 Fronhof. On the three floors of this building collections are shown of various crafts and farming from the first half of the 20th century.
On the third floor, neither compatible with crafts nor farming, there is a glass cabinet with a few ritual items reminding of the former Jewish community. The names of the former owners are unknown. It is likely that these items had been left behind by people who had been transported to the extermination camps in 1942.
The deportees were not allowed to take along more than what was needed for three days. All private possession had to be left behind in the house or in the flat. Some days after the evacuation of the owners all the household goods were sold at auction by members of the finance authority. In this way the few items in the glass cabinet give evidence of a once thriving Jewish community in this town.
1. a Chanukka candlestick (candelabrum)
2. a Seder plate
3. two Shabbat candlesticks
4. a small water jug
5. a collecting box for the acquisition of landed property in Palestine